Home Billingshurst Canada Fittleworth Grays, Essex Itchingfield London Midhurst New Zealand Petworth Pulborough Shipley Steyning Storrington West Chiltington Wisborough Green Worthing Bygonedays Luke's Sad Tale Matilda Photo Album Page 1 Photo Album Page 2 Photo Album Page 3 Photo Album Page 4 Photo Album Page 5 Thomas & Jane Terry's Photos Sussex Triangle Sussex Churches

© www.joyes.co.uk  All rights reserved

web design by jonjay

      Home     email Margaret     email David     email John


The link to Worthing for the Joyes family began with John Joyes, the last son of Thomas and Jane from Billingshurst. John had joined the Royal Marines with his brother Luke in 1853 but, after being invalided out of this service, he appears to have arrived in Worthing during the late 1860's when the population was about 7,000. Why he chose Worthing is not known - perhaps he was advised that Worthing's climate would prove more beneficial for his health. He arrived in the town with his wife, Louisa and elder son, Harry, and survived until his death in Worthing in 1901. Within 10 years of settling in the town, his family had grown to 6 children in total, now with Ellen, John, Thomas, Charles and Mary Jane. John Senior appeared not to have much religious belief as baptisms for any of his children cannot be found. This non-comformity continued with his eldest son, Harry, apparently not making the effort to marry despite finding a mother for his own children around 1887.

John died in early 1901 and strangely, survived his second son, also John, who died of that seemingly ever-present disease known at the time as Phthisis, or tuberculosis, at the age of 31. John's wife, Louisa, survived until 1906 while Harry's `widow' remarried and lived locally well into the 20th century when she died during the 1950's.

South Street Worthing

Luke Joyes appears not to have enjoyed much of a home life in his early years. Born in 1832, he was missing from the Census of 1841 and 1851 which show where the parents and siblings lived and, in 1853, he was in the Royal Marines and overseas. He was, however, much earlier, found to be at the Workhouse in Wisborough Green in 1841 as in inmate, perhaps a sign of the poverty suffered by his parents. Later, in the 1851 Census, when the parents and family lived in Horsham, Luke was found to be a farm labourer near Barns Green in the parish of Itchingfield. All the while, John had remained with his parents. Luke was the one who has learned to be independent and fend for himself while John had endured the poverty of home life perhaps too long.

Such was the difference when the 2 brothers signed on initially for 12 years. It has been established through records that Luke's mother, Jane, nee Anscombe, was sister of the Corporal Thomas Anscombe that enlisted Luke at Henfield, an indication, perhaps, of Jane thinking of her family's future at a time when the agricultural prospects for young men were at their lowest, turning to her brother for advice and having a service life recommended for 2 of her sons. John signed on in March 1853 and Luke in April.

The Royal Marines' barracks in Hampshire were at Portsmouth and Gosport and both brothers served time at these 2 places. Both became married while stationed in Hampshire, John to Louisa Sheppard of Fareham and Luke, to his cousin, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Anscombe and niece to Jane Anscombe, of Portsmouth.

John Joyes survived no more than 9 years in the Marines before meeting with an accident that saw him invalided out of the service. There were no children to support at the time but it appears that his move to Worthing was before 1869 as his second child was born in Worthing in that year. He took employment as a gardener, perhaps, one of the limited options for work he had with his disablement.

Luke, on the other hand, served his 12 years then went on to complete 22 years, during which time he saw service overseas on several occasions in the Baltic, Palestine and China and for which he received several medals. For whatever reason, whether curiosity or coercion, he moved with his family to Worthing, living within a stone's throw of brother John. He also took up the same occupation of gardener. Five of his children came with him from Hampshire but another five were to be born in Worthing! Within 2 years, Luke had bought some land in the western part of the then comparatively small town and known as `Newtown', an area of some disrepute as the residents had strong feelings about the existence of the Salvation Army in their area! It is not known if Luke was a participant in the riots that occurred or whether he remained passive to them. He had 2 houses built for the princely sum of £320. He rented out one of them and lived in the other. It was in his new house that the last of his 10 children, Bertie and Florence, were born. Neither, however, were baptised and both had to wait until their latter years before being `received into the church'.

Luke's achievements show how he had climbed to a status well above that of his early life of poverty and, although now comfortably situated financially, his health began to let him down. He was plagued with stomach problems and spent several periods at the Greenwich Naval Hospital undergoing treatment. However, the health problems finally got the better of him and he succumbed to them in 1905, being buried in the town's new cemetery in Broadwater. His widow, Elizabeth, lived on to 1920 and is remembered as being `one of the kindliest old ladies anyone could wish to meet.'

The Worthing connection carries on by name in just 2 elderly spinsters although family connections abound in the town through marriage, strangely, down through the last of Luke's children, Bertie and Florence.

The Family of Hugh Joyes in Worthing

As the Great War 1914-18 came to an end, it became evident to Hugh that neither of his sons had interest in either farming or milling. By this time large modern mills were producing flour and Fittleworth Mill was producing only animal food.

It must have been with mixed emotions that on 29th September 1918 he closed and locked the mill door for the last time. [see photo] The following year, when his elder son, Jim [Henry James Hugh] was demobilized from the Royal Flying Corps [ having served in the Transport Dept] the whole family moved to Sompting, a village on the outskirts of Worthing.. For a time they lived at Bleak House a large isolated property. In the 1930s Hugh and Alice bought a house in Worthing . They named it Hesworth after the Common in Fittleworth; Alice died in July 1940. Hugh's own death in October 1951 followed that of his daughter in law a month earlier. He is buried next to Alice in the St Mary's churchyard, Sompting

Jim followed the trade of Motor Engineer, owning Marine Garage in Worthing and managing many others over the years. He married Dorothy Herbert, daughter of a local builder. They had a son and a daughter. After his mother's death Jim bought Hesworth from his father. In September 1951 his wife Dorothy died suddenly.

Marjorie married Arthur J Buckley in 1928 . They had a son and a daughter. Marjorie died in 1976.

Connie married William Foster Clark in 1935. Connie had a stepson but no children of her own. She lived in Worthing until her death in 1990. She had a keen interest in the history of the family and took her niece to see over the Fittleworth Mill on 'an open day', before the mill was converted to a residence.

Len [Leonard Robert ] worked for a company called the Legal and General. In late 1941 Len's marriage to Valerie Crowe was registered in Birmingham, where they settled after his discharge from the Navy.

A son and a daughter were born in the district of Sutton Coldfield, near Birmingham and a few years later another son was born in Northampton.

Back to top